Tuesday, August 28, 2007

How do you judge a party?

How do we judge if a party is good or bad? This question was asked by my professor in the aesthetics course. A few of my peers answered: "I see if anyone is having fun", "I see if anyone is dancing", "I listen if the music is any good", "I see how many of my friends are there". So as I sat there listening to all the answers, I didn't hear anyone mention the most important ingredient in a great party, which from my perspective is the food! Therefore, I said to the professor that I personally looked at the food to judge a party. Then, she answered, "yes, food is very important as long as it isn't weird", so to that end I replied "but, I like weird food". Then, she went on to say something that made me think that what I had just replied wasn't completely true. She said that there is some "really weird food" and even if the food itself isn't weird to one individual, it might very well be weird to everyone else in a group. So, that got me to thinking, when I told the teacher that I like weird food, what I really meant was that I like what other people perceive as weird food, even if too me eating that "weird" dish is as normal as having a sandwich for lunch. So, I came to the conclusion, if I call a certain food weird - that does not make it weird, this just means it is weird to me. So, what about my continuous focus on absolute truth? Well, that is easy, it is true that you and I were not raised by the same parents. It is also true that your parents were not raised by the same parents that raised my parents. All of this effects directly our personal taste, because "good ole home cooking" does not mean the same to you and I. To me a great homemade meal might be "fried iguana with hot sauce" and to you it might be "Chicken fried steak with brown gravy".

2 comments:

Joe said...

Hello!

Your blog has been added to the mylinkmaps.com blog map at

http://mylinkmaps.com/map/worldblogs

Feel free to create a link so every one can see or add your friends blogs with the Add link

at the top of the map. Your blog description can be edited at
http://mylinkmaps.com/link/7195

Thanks,
Joe

Anonymous said...

"Hi:

Two things

1) I’d like your permission to (re)print your article on Frontline for our website

2) I was hoping we could use your ‘scribing’ talent for our website.

The Best Shows Youre Not Watching (dot) com [all one word]

Frontline is one of our featured shows. We’re hoping to round up a few people who can occasionally contribute perspective (via an article/blog) on the shows – maybe a recent episode, future direction, plot shortcomings etc.

What’s in it for you?
Primarily a larger audience back channeled to your blog. We don’t pay but the site has a lot of promise and we're pretty excited about getting it off the ground. Let me know what you think.

Thanks