Saturday, January 3, 2015

Is there such a thing as the one?

There are few things that captivate our attention as much as romantic relationships. Truth be told I've suffered from many sleepless nights due to the endless stream of thoughts emanating from my feelings for a special someone. But, I don't want to make this post about the feelings we have all experienced after meeting a person we become completely enthralled with. I want to explore the idea of "the one". The idea that somewhere out there in this realm of existence there is someone that we are meant to be with, as if by a law of nature, like gravity. The idea is an interesting one to say the least. Although, I must admit that the staggering amount of breakups, divorces, and broken hearts that result from serious romantic relationships sometimes leaves one wondering if there really is a special someone out there we are meant to be with. On the other hand, one could argue that all these horrible things happen to people because they are simply making the wrong choices and not putting in the required time and effort to really find "the one". I personally have found myself believing that I had found that special someone three times in my life. With all of them I had this one surreal moment, where it felt like the whole of existence revolved around this one moment in time and space between me and her. Is it really about those moments and feelings though. Sometimes, I think we overemphasize feelings and chemistry and we fail to see all the other things that are screaming at us to be or not to be with that other person. I've seen many relationships fall apart simply because that original passion dissipates and gets replaced by a repetitive boring cycle that some just cant live with. Then they meet someone else that ignites a new passion and get carried away by their emotions. Although, I have also met couples that have been together for years upon years and totally and completely hate their lives, but they choose to stay together because of the promise they made to each other, the children, or simply because they don't want to deal with the hassle of divorce and remarriage. So, I pose you this question, is finding "the one" about finding someone that you will be eternally happy with or is it about finding someone who will stick with you no matter what happens, even if that means driving each other insane and making each other hate existence? Some will say that it's both, and I know there are some couple out there that really are happy with their relationships, but this is usually not the case. I for one am still trying to figure it out and I know many of you are as well. The reality is that the realm of human happiness and relationships is utterly confusing and hopelessly intricate, but this doesn't have to keep us from seriously contemplating about such things.

No comments: